Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

Are purchases from GOODWILL Thrift Stores, Salvation ...

Customer Question

Are purchases from GOODWILL Thrift Stores, Salvation Army & Hospice Thrift Stores Tax Deductable? Purchases made from this stores are not taxed and I am wondering if purchases are then treated as donations? We like to find Fine Bone China to add to our collection & we make these types of purchases often.                    Thank you for your input. Stan [email protected]
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Purchases from thrift stores are not tax deductible unless you pay over fair market values for the items and you get a receipt stating the amount as a donation to the organization.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
These stores price the merchandise so would that be considered fair market value and I do get a receipt. But it does not use the wording of donation.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
You would have to get the store to write on the receipt how much is a donation and how much for the item purchases.