RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

Every year, at year end, I owe the state taxes. Should I ...

Every year, at year end, I owe the state taxes. Should I decrease my number of dependants to 0 as I currently claim 2 but have none?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

If you owe state taxes but you are covered from federal tax point of view than you may want to keep the same number of allowances but you may want to add an extra withholding amount for State on the State withholding allowance certificate.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.