Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Experience:  8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS
9608797

if I did not file a 1040x for my parents will they need to ...

Customer Question

if I did not file a 1040x for my parents will they need to file or I need to file one? They are my dependents and I claim them on my taxes. I received a notice for the stimulus payment and it did not include the amount for them. They only have s.s.i. payment monthly.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Cassandra replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer

a 1040X is an amendment to your tax return, so unless you made an error on your return you do not need to file an amendment.

If you claimed your parents on your tax return then they would not be entitled to the stimulus payment. Unfortunately the government is not giving out a stimulus to those that are claimed as dependents. They would be one of many of the people that are unfortunate in not being entitled to the stimulus payment, as they were claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return and are above the age of 17yrs old. I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but I want to give you the true facts regarding this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I call they told me that it would be. They are my dependents and would be counted that way.why is there diffrent answers to the same questions?
Expert:  Cassandra replied 8 years ago.
let me ask, are you planing on filing a 1040x to remove them as your dependents? if not what is the reason for the 1040x?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NO WILL NOT REMOVE THEM. THEY ARE HANDYCAP AND NEED OUR HELP. WHY WOULDN'T I GET THE stimulus payment FOR THEM?