How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Merlo Your Own Question

Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I never got a 1099-c from foreclosure, but lender sent ...

Customer Question

I never got a 1099-c from foreclosure, but lender sent one to IRS. The foreclosed doublewide was resold but I do not have the amount that it sold for. IRS contacted me and wants to show the whole amount of the cancelation of debt as income, but with no info on the amount that it sold for that should be credited to the amount that the IRS says that I owe as income. How do I obtain the info turned in on the 1099-c in order to have the corrected or adjusted with the IRS?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.


You have indicated that the IRS has already contacted you and that they have received a copy of the 1099-C. Did you ask them to send you a copy or did you ask them for the information from that form? Also, have you tried contacting the credit company that was responsible for filing the Form 1099-C?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO I have not contacted the IRS as I don't have a number to talk to a person. I have lost all my info on the lender due to several moves and I only have an address from the IRS letter but no contact number for lender and my reply date is by June 11, 2008 to the IRS.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again Betttyboop11155,

The quickest way for you to obtain a copy of the 1099-C form would be through the creditor, if you can possibly find a way to retrieve information on who that company was. Your only other alternative is to contact the IRS either by mail or phone, and that would probably take longer than the deadline date you have of June 11th.

However, I am curious as to what the IRS is showing that you owe tax on. If you had a foreclosure in a previous tax year but did not report the cancellation of debt, and now the IRS has a 1099-C form from the lender, then the only amount the IRS should be showing as taxable would be the amount of debt that was forgiven as listed on the 1099-C. Is this what they are saying you owe tax on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The IRS info that I have shows ccancellation of debt....$3,721 (under...Shown on return
then.. $28,638 (under...Reported to IRS, or as Corrected)
Then $24,917 (under...Difference)
The way I am understanding this is that the lender is saying that they sold the doublewide for $3,721 and I owe taxes on the remainder of $24, do I find out what they actually sold the doublewide for?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello againCustomer

First of all, it sounds like the IRS is saying that on the original tax return which you submitted, that you showed a cancellation of debt in the amount of $3,721, but that the amount reported to them as cancellation of debt was actually $28,638, meaning you would owe tax on the difference of $24,917. I am not certain where the figure of $3,721 came from that you apparently listed on your original tax return, but that sounds like what the IRS is saying.

In any case, obtaining a copy of the 1099-C would not give you the sale price of the mobile home. It would only show you the amount of debt that was cancelled, and at this point it sounds like the IRS is saying that this was reported to them as being $28,638. Again, your best alternative is to try and contact the lending institution who was involved in this foreclosure to obtain full details on the sale of this property. You might check with your local county recorder of deeds to see if this information would be a part of their records. That is where I would recommend starting. If they do not have the information you need, then again you need to contact the IRS (although I know it is sometimes very difficult to get through).

If this answer has been helpful, kindly press the "Accept" key. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the question.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience