How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 70 years old and live in Lawton, OK. I have an ...

This answer was rated:

I am 70 years old and live in Lawton, OK. I have an adopted son who is 54. He wants to buy a condiminum but needs $30,000.00 to complete the loan requirement. I wish to give him the $30,000.00 that he needs but I am only allowed to give him according to the IRS up to $12,000.00 per year as a gift. He needs the whole $30,000.00 now to close the deal. How can I give him the money he needs now leagally via IRS rules? I would like for it to be a gift rather than a loan. How can this be done and comply with the IRS requirements?

Hello bill_pitts,

Actually the IRS rule that you are referring to does not limit the amount of the gift that you can give to an individual in any one year, it just states that any amount over $12,000 each year given to any one individual must be reported to the IRS on Form 709.

The IRS has what is called the Uniform Tax Credit, which allows every individual a lifetime exemption on gifts or estates. Currently for the year 2008 that lifetime exemption amount is set at $2 million. If you give an individual a a gift of $12,000 or more in any one calendar year, the gift must be reported on Form 709 and it counts towards your lifetime exemption amount of $2 million, but no taxes are due unless you eventually exceed the $2 million exclusion amount. This is simply a reporting requirement to account for the gift.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "Accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions