Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I am 65 and have a traditional ira worth $72,000.

I am 65 and have a traditional ira worth $72,000. ,comprised of stock and a little cash. If I cash it in what are the tax consequences. I want it to go toward a vacation condo.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Since you are over age 59-1/2, you meet the age requirement to withdraw from your traditional IRA without any penalties. However, all of the money that you withdraw from your traditional IRA is subect to ordinary income tax rates in the year that you make the withdrawal. So if you take the entire $72,000 out of that account this year, that means that $72,000 will be added to any other income that you have for this year, and you will be taxed on the entire amount. The amount of tax, of course, is going to depend on just what other income you have, your filing status, your total deductions, etc., but you would be taxed on whatever amount you withdraw from that IRA at ordinary tax rates.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "Accept" button so I may receive credit for helping you. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the question and let me know if I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Merlo's Post: I mentioned that it was in stock so I assume that I only pay tax on any capital gain.
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello againCustomer

All of the money that was contributed to your IRA was on a "pre-tax basis", meaning that any year that you contributed money to the IRA, that money was deducted from your income and not taxed. In addition, any earnings that your IRA accumulated as a result of interest or dividends or stock purchases, was also allowed to accumulate on a tax free basis. Therefore, all of the money in the IRA account is untaxed money, and tax is due on the entire amount when it is withdrawn, regardless of whether or not the money was in stocks or a certificate of deposit or money market account. Any money that you earned in the IRA account as a result of stock sales does not qualify for treatment at the long term capital gains tax rate. All of the contributions and income are taxed at ordinary income tax rates at the time of withdrawal.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "Accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the question.

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad