Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I owe the irs money.How can find out how much i owe ...

Customer Question

I owe the irs money.How can find out how much i owe and if they have taken the past three years of tax returns filed prior to April 15,2008?My wife and i are trying to purchase a home and this is holding us back.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If you filed tax returns - you may get copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). There is no charge for transcripts.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

To get an account transcript - mark check boxes 6 "b" and "c".

Your tax liability would listed on your account and a tax account transcript should reflect your liability. You may also mark the box 7 to get Verification of Nonfiling.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So,I should be able to call this 1-800 # XXXXX they sholud be able to tell me if there are any adjustments to the amount owed?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure if they will be able to tell you on the phone - probably not. But you may order a tax account transcript that has such information - you will get it in 10 days.