How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29519
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe the irs money.How can find out how much i owe ...

Customer Question

I owe the irs money.How can find out how much i owe and if they have taken the past three years of tax returns filed prior to April 15,2008?My wife and i are trying to purchase a home and this is holding us back.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If you filed tax returns - you may get copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). There is no charge for transcripts.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

To get an account transcript - mark check boxes 6 "b" and "c".

Your tax liability would listed on your account and a tax account transcript should reflect your liability. You may also mark the box 7 to get Verification of Nonfiling.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So,I should be able to call this 1-800 # XXXXX they sholud be able to tell me if there are any adjustments to the amount owed?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure if they will be able to tell you on the phone - probably not. But you may order a tax account transcript that has such information - you will get it in 10 days.