Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Experience:  8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS
9608797

a non-exempt employee earning $10.00 an hour worked 45

Customer Question

a non-exempt employee earning $10.00 an hour worked 45 hours and is to be paid weekly. This is their first paycheck from the employer. Their Form W-4 reports their filing status is single and claims one allowance. This employee is voluntarily deferring 2% of their gross pay into a SIMPLE retirement plan. Their secion 125 deduction is $25. Their child support garnishment is $50/wk. What would their Federal Withholding, social security tax withholding and medicare tax withholding be.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Hourly Wage $450

Less: Garnishment $50

Less: Sec 125 deduction $25

Less: Simple IRA $9

Less: Federal Withholding $37

Less: Social Security Tax $26.35

Less: Medicare Tax $6.16

Net Pay = $296.49

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RD's Post: I came up with a different answer. Would you mind reviewing this.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Glenna
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

What is your answer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RD's Post: First of all I computed hrly wage at $475.00. I need to go upstairs and get the rest of my information.
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

I guess you are considering overtime payment(time and half) for the 5 hours.

If overtime is applicable for this particular employee and if the overtime payment is time and half - than your gross payment of $475 would be correct.

I am available for another 5 minutes and than I will check back tomorrow morning.

Btw, amount towards cafetaria will not be subject to FICA, medicare or federal withholding.

Amount towards Simple IRA will not be subject to federal withholding but will be subject to FICA and medicare.

And amount towards garnishment will not affect the federal withholding or the FICA or medicare.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I researched non-exempt. I found it meant he was entitled to overtime. Do you think I am incorrect.

Then I deducted the $25 for the 125 Cafeteria Plan and $9.00 (Fed. Income Tax Only) for Federal Withholding Amount.

Then went back to tax on $450 (adding the $9.00 back in for the SIMPLE PLAN) which was excluded for Federal Withholding but not from FICA and Medicare.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any other CPA's there to answer this question. I beleive RD was leaving.

I did not get a concrete updated response.

Thank-you,

Glenna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HELP!!!!! I REALLY NEED AN ANSWER TONIGHT OR I SHOULD SAY THIS MORNING. I WOULD LIKE AN ANSWER TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION BY A CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT. I NEED EXACT AMOUNTS FOR FEDERAL INCOME TAX WITHHOLDING, FICA AND MEDICARE. I AM NOT SURE IF I AM CORRECT IN MY RESEARCH OF NON-EXEMPT (MEANING OT APPLIES). CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER IN THE NEXT 15 MINUTES.

THANK-YOU,
GLENNA
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have a difference in calculation and have been asking for clarification and exact amounts of Federal Withholding Tax, FICA, and Medicare to my original question. I did not agree with RD. I need a CPA to answer this question (hopefully tonight). I do not know how much clearer I can be in my request from start to finish.
Expert:  Cassandra replied 6 years ago.

helloCustomerand I am sorry that you have been waiting so long for an answer. I agree with you in your gross calculation of wages. A non-exempt employee is required to follow the overtime wages by law. Thierfore of the 45 hrs he worked in his week, 5 hours would be computed at 1.5x his normal hourly rate. His gross wages should be $475.

Here is my answer using 2% of gross wages to the IRA

Gross Wages $475

Less Sec. 125 -$25

Less IRA -$9.50

Less Federal Taxes -$40.98

Less Social Security -$27.89

Less Medicare -$6.53

Less garnishment -$50

Take home pay $315.10 Not including state income tax and State disability

I ran this second scenario using The $9 you said in your post, however 2% of gross wages for this pay period is $9.50

Gross wages $475

Less sect 125 -$25

Less IRA -$9

Less Fed Tax witholding -$41.05

Less Social security -$27.89

Less Medicare -6.53

Net earning before garnishment $365.58

Less garnishment -$50

Take home pay $315.53

Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Experience: 8yrs experience in taxation for individuals. CTEC Registered and an Authorized E-filer with the IRS