RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

Question regarding doing business in multiple states.

Client owns a Maryland S Corporation and are residents of MD. Their S Corporation does business or provides services in both Virginia and DC. Does the S Corporation have to file a return in either VA or DC? Do they have to file a personal return in either VA or DC?

Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

Yes, if the S Corporation does business in VA & DC than you need to file the S Corp tax return in both VA & DC.

To the extent there is income in VA & DC, the shareholders may be required to file a personal tax return in VA & DC

Normally States require S Corporation to register in their State as a foreign corporation in order to transact business in that State. You may want to check with Department of State in each State to determine the requirements.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Does this mean they would have to allocate income and expenses to each state to determine the amount of income? If yes is there a formula for doing this other than by percentage of sales?
Thank you.

Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you would be required to allocate income and expenses to each state.

Most States allow apportionment using the three factors- sales, payroll or property.

This would involve detailed research for each particular state in question. I would suggest you to review the instructions to the tax return for each State for specific information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** wanted to first ask you if I need any additional information how would I get in touch with you?

Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

You can either post a question and request me on the post or send me an email from your just answer account.

Let me know if you have any question.