Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

How many days in a year (out of 365) establishes residency ...

Customer Question

How many days in a year (out of 365) establishes residency in a state? i.e. I live in state A, and I move to State B. If I move there before July 1, do I become a resident (for tax purposes) of state B?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello Devo88,

Each state has different rules for establishing residency, so it would depend on what state you are talking about. However, for tax purposes, generally you will pay state taxes to any state where you earned income, regardless of where you lived when it was earned.

If this answer has been helpful, please press the "accept" button. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the question and have a great day.