Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I just started on disability through work and are I'm ...

Customer Question

I just started on disability through work and are I'm also a caregiver of someone with dementia are ther any tax credits or help?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

If the disability plan that you have through your employer is a fringe benefit where your employer pays the premiums for the disability insurance, then any disability payments you receive are taxable as regular income. Typically, most disability payments will only withhold social security taxes, so you should probably set aside money to cover federal and state taxes that you will owe at the end of the year. There are no tax benefits available to you at this point for being on disability through your work. Sorry.