Ask The Guy Behind the Tree Your Own Ques...
The Guy Behind the Tree
The Guy Behind the Tree, Experienced Investor & Financier
Experience:  Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the guy behind the tree.

Can someone on Medicaid and be claimed as a dependent?

Will my daughter who is on Medicaid and food stamps in Florida be ineligible if I claim her as a dependent on my income tax return?

Category: Tax
Expert:  The Guy Behind the Tree replied 8 years ago.
Claiming someone as a dependent will not affect their eligibility for food stamps.

However, you need to be sure that you are able to claim your daughter as a dependent under IRS rules. If she claims herself, you cannot claim her. If she lives with you, and is below the age indicated in the IRS rules, you might be able to claim her as a dependent. If she is older than the rules indicate, you still might be able to claim her as a qualifying relative.

The IRS has specific rules for the claiming of a child or a qualifying relative as a dependent. From a reading of these requirements, you can decide if you can claim your daughter as a dependent.

The IRS will not accept someone claiming a child as a dependent unless these rules are met. The person who is NOT entitled to claim the dependent will have their tax return changed, and possibly audited. The IRS computers match almost perfectly for checking doubly claimed dependents.

The IRS offers a publication that specifically states the requirements for claiming a child as a dependent:

(See "Qualifying Child" section)

Here is an article summarizing the IRS publication:

The key points are - under the qualifying child rules, the child must live with you for more than half the year. Under the qualifying relative rules, the taxpayer must provide more than half of the dependent's total support.

Hope these thoughts help.