How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dave Your Own Question

Dave, Bookkeeper
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 697
Experience:  Four years doing books, taxes, and accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I claim head of household for a dependant that is a non relative

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Good eveningCustomerand welcome to Just Answer!

Can you explain your situation a little bit more and explain who the qualifying person is that you are claiming as a dependent? Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dave's Post: Dave you rock. The child is my boyfriend's son wwho lived with us all last year. His mother has the right to claim him per the divorce aggreement but she checked out and has agreed to let me claim him. The 1040 explanation makes it look like it has to be a relative to claim head of household although it is clear that I can claim him as a dependant. His mom will write letter certifiying the change of tax exemption.


Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Cynthia, thank you for the quick response back. I had a feeling this was going to be your situation. While it is great that his mother has agreed to let you claim him, he will still not be a qualifying child for you in order for you to be able to file as Head of Household. You are correct though that he may qualify for you to claim him as a dependent, however because he is not related you will not be able to use this for Head of Household filing. Take a look at Example 4 on page 8 of the 1040 instructions books for further proof if needed. This explains this exact situation. However, if your boyfriend provided more than half the cost of the upkeep of the home, and was unmarried on the last day of 2007 and claims the child on his taxes he may be able to file for HOH. I am sorry that this is probably not what you wanted to hear but at least you know that you can claim him as a dependent (as long as you provided more than half of his support and he lived with you for at least half of the year) and you know for sure about the HOH filing status. Most likely you will need to file as single. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance with this matter. Thank you for using Just Answer and please remember to leave feedback after you have clicked the Green Accept button. Have a great week.
Dave, Bookkeeper
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 697
Experience: Four years doing books, taxes, and accounting
Dave and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is what I thought so I am really glad I asked.....nothing worse than filing a bad tax return. I will write a good letter of reccomendation. Thanks again for the quick response.

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Cynthia and best of luck. Take care and have a great week:)


Ps: Thank you for the bonus as well, it is greatly appreciated.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience