Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

My Daughters W-2 has no Federal Income Tax Withheld

Customer Question

My Daughter''s W-2 has no Federal Income Tax Withheld in Block 2. It does say federal tax exempt. Does that mean she doesn''t have to claim that income. She is filing an 1040EZ.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. How much is reported in block 1? If it is under $5,350 your daughter does not have to file a Federal tax return.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
W-2 shows 17,000
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
How old is your daughter? Are you going to claim your daughter on your tax return?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. I am not claiming her. She's 21. The company is a resturant in Tampa Fl. They took out SSAN and Medicare but no Federal Income Tax. I am confused??
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Since the company your daughter work for did not withhold Federal Income Tax, she will file her tax return and if there is a balance due on Federal Income Tax she would have to pay that amount.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is it legal for a company not to take out taxes?? She will owe over a thousand dollars, which I know she does not have. Maybe file an extension?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Company should take taxes from wages when employee is paid but, it is legal for a company not to withhold Federal income tax. Your daughter should fill out a new W4 with her employer and have Federal income tax withheld ever pay period. If she does not have the funds to pay the taxes in full, she can apply for a installment agreement and pay the amount over 36 month. She can apply for a installment agreement when she file her Federal income tax. You have to pay tax due to file an extension.