Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

My husband is on disability from the railroad and is

My husband is on disability from the railroad and is recieving disability. The railroad stated that he does not have to file income taxes on this. I have found out that if I earn a income that he will have to file and pay on those taxes. My question is: Is it 40,000 combined income or if I just earn 40,000 in income not including his disability payments
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Was your husband railroad payment reported on Form RRB-1099?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Report 50% of his railroad benefits with your wages. If 50% of his benefits and your wages is between $32,000 and $44,000 up to 50% of his railroad benefits are taxable. If combined income is above $44,000, 85% of his railroad benefits are taxable.