Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
1987257

What are territory taxes I was reading that a person who ...

Customer Question

What are territory taxes? I was reading that a person who owes federal, state ot territory taxes will not get a tax relief check
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.
Territory taxes are taxes due to various US Territories. For example, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, etc.

If you owe any taxes to the federal government for back taxes, or to any US State or Territory tax relieve money would be used to repay that debt rather than sent to you, just as is done with federal tax refunds.

I hope this helps!

___________________

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What about local taxes? Does it apply to that?
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.
The IRS limits access to tax refunds to various federal entities and State governments (as well as US Territories as described in my first answer). A local government within a State would not be able to put a hold on a federal tax refund or tax relief check. Unless the State government (or US Territory) is responsible for collecting the taxes, the IRS would not allow a hold to be placed on the money.

I hope this helps!

___________________