Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

Can I deduct mortgage interest and taxes paid if I lived in ...

Can I deduct mortgage interest and taxes paid if I lived in the house and paid for the mortgage and taxes? My tax accountant told me I could include it on my tax return as a deduction. I live in the state of Texas.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you may deduct mortgage interest and property tax paid during the year on your Schedule A that accompanies the 1040.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: Please let me clarify - I was not on the deed of the house and the mortgage was in my boyfriends name, whom I have lived with for over 10 years.
I am sorry, did not realize that. You must be a legal and equitable owner of the property in order to take the deduction. You may not deduct the property tax and mortgage interest if you are not on the deed and have no other legal claim to the property, even if you paid the interest and paid the tax.