Jim Revels
Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Providing income tax / planning services for over 16 years on all entity and individual tax issues

My mother is totally disabled and lives in my house. She ...

My mother is totally disabled and lives in my house. She has a 7 by 24 hour caregiver which I pay out of her account. Can she deduct this cost from her tax return? What form needs to be completed? The cost is $2450 every two weeks. Help please!!!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. To the extent that she is not reimbursed by Medicare or insurance those payments would be deductible on Schedule A (Medical Deductions) Please note, total medical deductions are only deductible to the extent they exceed 7.5% of her adjusted gross income.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this considered long-term care? She receives reimbursement from either her insurance or Medicare. I don't want to sound stupid but when I added in the expense amount of $31206.10, her former payment of $6752 was reduced to $752. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Confused ... she DOES NOT receive reimbursement, sorry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I posted additional clarification to my original question after I received the answer. Is there additional expense required for this information?
sorry now I am confused....but let me try to answer your other is not deemed long term care. one reply looks like she does get reimbused and the other says she does not. I assume that she does not. the payment changing are you referring to her overpayment/refund?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry I confused you ... 1st - she does not get reimbursed for any expenses. I am using TurboTax and the only place I found to list the expenses was a Heading of Long Term Care Expenses. The only other place would be "Other Medical Expenses". Would it be better to list under "Other Medical Expenses."?

The payment was her overpayment, originally she would be paying $6752 but after the Caregiver Service is input the overpayment is $752. Again my apologies for the confusion ...

ok now I got it....other medical is the correct place.....change is seems about right.