How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im wondering if I can claim my younger sister as

Customer Question

I''m wondering if I can claim my younger sister as my dependent on my tax return. I''m 25 and was making $ 38,500 for the year of 2007. My sister was 22 in 2007 and was a full time student. She did work for two-month internship and made $ 3,650. other than the time that she went to school, we stayed together. we are by ourself here in US, our parent is oversea and they are not US resident or citizen. So, no one can claim my sister as dependent other than me. My sister applied student loan and that supported most of her expenses at school and my mum always supports her a little bit. And since she stayed with me most of the time out of school, I supported all her expenses when she stayed with me. My questions will be: 1) Can I claim my sister as my dependent? 2) Can I put my sister tuition fee and school expense on my tax return? Thank you very much!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 7 years ago.

Dear Ariel,

It appears from your description that your sister may meet the requirements of "qualifying child" for you. She needs to meet these requirements in order for you to claim her. I will post them underneath. The most important things to evaluate are whether or not she provided more than 1/2 of her support, and if she lived with you for more than 1/2 the year. Temporary absences to attend college do not count as time living apart if her primary residence is with you. Also, if you are able to claim her as a dependent, then you may use a tuition credit on your return, as payments made by the dependent are considered to be made by the person claiming the dependent for purposes of the Hope or Lifetime learning credit.

Here are the dependency rules, please let m e know if you need additional clarificiation:


Rules for all dependents include:

  • You cannot claim any dependent if you , or your spouse if filing jointly could be claimed by another taxpayer
  • You cannot claim a married person who filed a joint return unless that joint return is filed only for a refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse on separate returns
  • The dependent must be a US citizen, US resident, US national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the year


All dependents are either Qualifying Children or Qualifying Relatives.


Qualifying Child:


  • The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half or step brother or sister, or a descendant of one of them.
  • The child must be under age 19 at the end of the year or under age 24 and a full time student for any part of 5 months of the year, OR, any age and totally and permanently disabled
  • The child must have lived with you for more than ½ the year (exceptions apply)
  • The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year
  • If the child is a qualifying child of more than 1 person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child (tie-breaker rules)

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience