How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I figure my take-home pay on my state ...

This answer was rated:

How can I figure my take-home pay on my state retirement. I live in AZ and the monthly benefit is $3700.


This is not sufficient information to help you figure that. I need to know your filing status, and what you claim for withholdling?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: A little background. I am eligible to retire but am trying to find out what I will be taking home to see if I can actually afford to retire.

Right now I Gross $65,000/year but net about $1,500 every two weeks,what with all the deductions.

I am single with no dependents. I think I claim one dependent for withholdng.

NOTE! I should receive about $1,500 a month from social security as well and have a deferred compensation plan that has about $100k in it that I can drawdown, invest, or rollover.



It is never simple is it?

Ok so

You seem to know what you will be getting. I will only be able to give you an estimate based on some assumptions that may or may not be correct.

You want me to estimate your take home pay or tell you how you can figure it, when I have no idea what or how you will start taking distributions from your deferred compensation plan.

We are not set up in this site to be able to figure or plan your retirement income, but I can help a bit.

Everything depends on the source of income.

If your income were earned income, I can tell you what that should look like. Using the following payroll calculator:

But you say you are already clearing 1500 every two weeks with your deductions on the 65,000.

but when you retire, does the 65,000 go away?

Based on the 65,000 if it is earned income your take home pay should look more like this based on what you gave me.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

-weekly Gross Pay


Federal Withholding


Social Security






Net Pay


However when you retire this may change:

  1. With the 1744 for your bi-weekly pay estimated for the 65K then add:
  2. SS income which is not taxed by the state.which you say is 1500 per month

If your monthly take home pay is twice the bi-weekly, then you would currently have about 3500 a month take home.

The normal formula says you will need at least 80 percent of your current income in order to retire.

So if you may 3500 now, you can figure you will at least require 2800 a month.

Minus SS = 1300 that has to be made up by your deferred comp plan.

If you are age 63, at retirement, figure a 20 year life expectancy.

Assume a 2.5% growth factor per year on your deferred comp (2.5%) of remaining balance.

so you would need to take out 120K by 20 years = 6,000 a ear or 500 a month.that is about an 800 a month short fall.

add to this your state benefit of 3500.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Edward:

I am actually 65 now and will be eligible for SS in April of this year. My 65k will end when I retire (whenever I decide on that date).

Below is a breakdown of my pay and deductions right now:

We have 26 pay periods each year. This is for one pay period:

Gross: $2,582

Fed. Tx 352

SS 158

Medicare 37

AZ state tax 130

Medical PPO Pretax 24

AZ state retirement 235

Short term disab. 29

AZ state retiremen LT 13

Supplemntal Life 8

Dental 8

Retro Supp. Life 7


Pre tax deductions 258

Tax deductions 679

Other deductions 57


Net pay $1,586

This amount will be gone once I retire. What I am trying to see if my State retirement of $3500 will be taxed up front or do I have to pay taxes at the end of the year. If they do tax it, what will be the net pay amount? That plus my SS will determine if I can afford to retire with that plus what little amount I can get from my deferred comp plan.

Does this help in your projections?

Thanks again for your help.



Thanks for the clarification. It was hard for me to understand exactly what you were getting at. I wished we could talk by phone sometimes.

OK so one more question. What is the source of your state retirment? is it public service or teaching? what are you retiring from?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post:

I work for the Yuma County Health Department, so it is the State Retirement System.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Thanks again.



Thanks for the additional information.

I apologize that I ws not able to get to you reply sooner.

I do not know where in all of this I got the idea you were relocating to AZ, and had a retirement form out of state. BUT

As resident of AZ drawing an AZ state retirment benefit, the first 2,500 dollars of your AZ benefit is tax exempt. So, you only pay taxes on the balance.

AZ will take out back up withholding of 25% unless you sign a document authorizing or requesting another amount.


Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions