Jim Revels
Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Providing income tax / planning services for over 16 years on all entity and individual tax issues
4204301

Am I required to pay taxes on social security benefits ...

Am I required to pay taxes on social security benefits received due to the death of my husbancd but they are for my child who is a minor? I make over 25k per year and I received 1099 form indicating I "may" be taxed on some or all of my son''s benefits.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jim Revels replied 8 years ago.

I assume the form from SSA has your social security number on it. Making this assumption, If you make over $25,000 which includes 50% of the social security received and file as head of household you will be taxed on 50% of your son's benefits. If you make over $34,000 which includes 50% of the social security received and file as head of household you will be taxed on 85% of your son's benefits.

Best regards,