Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
8056330

I am an American, married to German and have been living in ...

I am an American, married to German and have been living in Germany for the past 24 yrs. I have just stated for the first time a small jewelry business and would like to sell my one of a pieces in New York 4 times a year - (I plan to spend approx. 4 months out of the year in NY and NJ). I would like to apply for a tax ID number so that I can legally sell my jewelry when I am there. I have an American Address and a bank account in Little Silver N.J. My father (who has since passed on) always took care of these matters for me up until the time I married, and I really have no idea how to go about doing this - in addition, I have not worked since I am married - until just now. I thank you in advance for your help and look forward to hearing from you! All the best, Judy
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.
Customer

As an American, you should already have a Social Security Number, which is what was used to open your bank account. As a citizen, you do not need anything special, other than maybe a local business tax license, in order to do business here. However, you still should be filing US tax returns each year that you meet the filing requirement, whether it is foreign income or not. You would receive foreign tax credits for any foreign taxes you paid to offset any US taxes.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience: MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you - However, I have not filed any US tax returns since my father passed on 14 years ago as I mentioned (and I say that not proudly). I just never followed up on it ... and I am hoping that it is not too late to bring my life in order. So what do I do about the fact that I have neglected this? I really would like to do what is correct...
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.

You should surely start filing now. You would also have a filing requirement for all past years you made certain amounts of income. If you want to be totally legit, you may only consider filing the last seven years, although I've seen some people file a late return only when asked by the IRS for a return.

Regards,

Mark D

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not had any income what so ever for the past 20 years - this new (small) jewelry interest of mine I have just started in the past 6 months. So you suggest that I consider filing for the last 7 years. What can I expect to happen when I do this?
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.
Customer

No Income= No filing requirement. Just ensure you file in the year you start your business.

Regards,

Mark D

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, great that is clear now- you were very helpful - and one last simple question before I hit the ACCEPT button :o) - This brings me back to my original question - I would like to have a tax id # XXXXX that I can also use this to order the materials I need for my business. Do I just simply fill out a form and receive this with no problem?
Expert:  Mark D replied 6 years ago.
Customer

You can use your SSN, or apply for a FEIN at the following link. Thank you!

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D, Enrolled Agent