Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

My youngest son completed his enlistment in the Marine

My youngest son completed his enlistment in the Marine Corps in July 2007. He is 24 years old, is now living at home and enrolled in an accredited college in the Fall of 2007. My wife and I paid his first year tuition of more than $16K. Can we deduct a portion of this expense when filing our 2007 tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Hello there, If your son turned 24 in 2007, then he is too old to meet the dependency requirements of "qualifying child". He may however be a "qualifying relative" for dependency purposes, but he would have had to have had less than $3400 in gross income for the year.

If he does not meet the requirements for a dependent, they you may not take any tax related benefits for his education. He may claim himself and take either an education deduction or credit, whichever benefits him the most.

If you need more information or clarification, please let me know.