Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

Hi there, what are the Top 5 Websites for Tax Preparation

Customer Question

Hi there, what are the Top 5 Websites for Tax Preparation? And please let me know why you like each? Thanks. Ron
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

If you can answer by 2pm eastern and take a quick phone call from a reporter later today or tormmmorw, will add a bonus (and help JA!)
pls only answer if you have a CPA or are an enrolled agent
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the invitation to answer this question.

I consider the following websites to be a top five site as indicated. IN genearl, all five are comparable and have only one weekness. The federal returns can be submited for free, but state returns are not. This appears to be because the state has not enrolled in a special program for free state returns.

• Can file all levels of return on line to include state returns
  • Participates in the Federal Free File program; has partnership agreement with IRS.
  • has error checking
  • access to tax experts to help with the questions for those tough tax issues.
  • Paricipates with IRS to ensure all forms are compliant and up to date.
  • High rate of accuracy as reported by the
  • Can file all relavent schedules including A, B, C, D, and SE
  • Has multiple versions including TANGO which allows you to take a test drive, to fit most tax scenarios. (cann't say all yet from my experience)
  • It's tax cut software is used by the IRS in some of its tax centers and Vita sites.
  • Provides several tax calculators to estimate tax returns and run different scenarios to help people determine the best way to file, particularly valuable for higher income persons contemplating filing joint returns.
  • Non virtual tax office availability

• Free file is not available for all state returns.
  • Several customers in Just Answers express dis-satisatisfaction that they are unable to retreve prior year returns processed on line. (unclear if this is because of forgotton passwords and pins; however the customers i hear from indiate they can not get a response from H&R block reprsentatives to gain or regain access)
  • Multiple form casualty and loss forms may not be accepted and require mailed in return.
  • advertising a super quick return as if it were their product without credit being given to the IRS. (All properly completed onsite tax prep services provide this)
  • Provides estimate to reduce taxes next year
  • Online filing fees for those not eligible for Free file is more expensive than the others.
  • IRS compliant.

2. Turbo Tax:

• All levels of tax return availability on line
  • participates in federal free tax
  • Past year returns available on line
  • Has on line option to use a tax professional to prepare return for a very favorable rate. Advertised at 99 dollars.
  • estimater to reduce taxes
  • Has various tax calculators, but not as extensive as H&R block.
  • IRS compliant

• State returns cost extra regardless of income level
  • The cost of electronic filing is expensive
  • Does not appear to have a partnership contract with IRS.
  • I get a lot of questions on line from people needing to assisstance with overriding how turbo tax handles some calculations.
  • Does not appear on the IRS partnership list maintained at,,id=101223,00.html

3. TAX SLayer:

• Cheapest of the online tax providers
  • easy to use
  • received no compalaints in two years
  • Only two or three requests for assisstance with customers regarding how to use.
  • provides the easiest access to state free file services
  • can handle all critical tax schedules such as A, B, C, D, and SE for ease in handling self eployment schedule C, and SE, and investment income filing requirements.
  • Listed on irs website as a partner:,,id=101223,00.html

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks Ed! I think it might have been cut off?

NO, I already took the interview. I do not know if I satsified her or she will go somewhere else.

She thought I was a CPA, so I set the record straight. She was satisfied with the three and said there was no need for two more.

The only negative I can add to Taxslayer is that it has no access to a tax professional online, and it does not have a lot of calculators to use; it does not have a non-virtual tax preperation center in the same way that H&R block does.

do you want me to do the other two? You paid for them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nope. thats fine Ed. THANKS! Ron

My pleasure. I just hope the lady was satisfied.