How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

does one need to pay the IRS for a forclosure of a home

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.


This depends on the nature of the forclosure and what the home eventually sells for.

In theory, if the FMV of the home, which is generally determined to be the sale price of the home, is less than the mortgage loan, the bank forgives the loan. Forgiven debt is normall reported on schedule C and is considered taxable income.

it is also possible, if your home was refinanced, that you could also incur a capital gain. Capital gains exposes you to capital gains tax. However, in a majority of instances, the rules for taking the capital gain exclusion , would be applied, and you would end up paying no capital gains tax.

In addition, under the new Mortgage Relief Act, you are entitle to attempt to relieve any tax debt created by a forclosure by completing the following form.

This form essentially reduces attributes so that you can elimiante in part or in whole, all forgiven debt to the extent of insolvency so that you do not pay taxes as a result.

Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ed this would apply to a second home, not my primary home, right? I can be considered insolvent and still have my primary home? Is there a way to fill out the form and find out whether the government views me as insolvent or not.

As far as capital gains goes, I remortgaged the second home to put an addition on my primary home. However, we built our second (retirement) home for $140K and the house was recently appraised for $289. The Capital Gains would be on the difference, right? But, you said I probably would not have to pay that. Could you please explain a little more about why not?

Also, I understand that Congress is considering signing a bill that would rescind the "debt forgiveness" tax (form 1099C) you happen to know anything about that and if they are really supposed to be doing this and when??

Thank you so much for all your help.

Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.


the debt bill was actually passed; it is called the .The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007

The form that I linked you to was modified last month by the IRS to allow homeowners to comply with the act.

So where line 1 e is for principle residnece, you may include other debt that is not a priciple residence on anothe line. Read the instructions carefully for other debt that is non-business debt. They give an example of a car, but those items listed are examples and not inclusive. Use it for the second home.

Additionally, if any of the debt for the second home was used to "improve or extend the value of the primary residence, that portion of the debt goes on line 1 e.

You can have a degree of insolvency which caused a lien to be forclosed on. You can avoid paying taxes on forgiveness of debt to the degree of insovency. So it is possible to still have some insolvency and still retain your home at the time of the forclosure on the second home.

When i stated that you could avoid capital gains tax, it was assuming you had a forclosrue on the primary residence. Your initial question that i respondided to did not contain this i gave a response on primary residence, and suddenly it is your second home and now my answer has to change slightly.

You are entitled to a maximum capital gains exclusion if you both owned the home and lived in it as your primary residence for at least 2 of the past five years. The time spent in the home does not have to be continuous. So you can add up say, 1/4 yaers or half years over the course of 5 years to total 2 years, in order meet the maximum capital gains exclusion from taxes. That maximum exclusion is 250,000 of capital gain if filing a seperate or single return, and 500,000 if filing a joint return. If you lived in the home as your primary residence (yes even the second home) less than the 2 years and was required to sell it because of unforseen circumstances you can take a porportional reduced capital gains exculsion form taxes.

Unforseen circumstances are:

  1. death
  2. health
  3. natural and manmade disasters
  4. change in financial circumstances such that you can not afford the mortgage
  5. change in job or financial circumstances such that you may not afford to pay the mortgage and still meet basic living requirements.
  6. change in job location that meets safe harbor requirements



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience