Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.

Am I better off to go with form EZ , or if I can take my ...

Am I better off to go with form EZ , or if I can take my disabled roommate as a deduction should I do it?

You cannot claim a non-relative as a dependent unless they lived with you for the entire year, you provided more than 1/2 of their support, and they made a total of less than $3400 for the entire year in income.

If this person meets all the requirements, it is probably worth taking the extra few minutes to fill out the longer form. That $3400 deduction would save you about $510 in taxes if you are in the 15% tax bracket, or $850 in the 25% tax bracket.

I hope this helps!

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.