How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guru_Guy Your Own Question
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Guru_Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I better off to go with form EZ , or if I can take my ...

This answer was rated:

Am I better off to go with form EZ , or if I can take my disabled roommate as a deduction should I do it?

You cannot claim a non-relative as a dependent unless they lived with you for the entire year, you provided more than 1/2 of their support, and they made a total of less than $3400 for the entire year in income.

If this person meets all the requirements, it is probably worth taking the extra few minutes to fill out the longer form. That $3400 deduction would save you about $510 in taxes if you are in the 15% tax bracket, or $850 in the 25% tax bracket.

I hope this helps!


IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.
Guru_Guy and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions