How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved from georgia to texas in march 2007, in the summer ...

This answer was rated:

I moved from georgia to texas in march 2007, in the summer i changed my last name. My husband and I filled jointly in texas under my new last name. I am trying to file my georgia state tax and i have 2 questions. 1. if my w-2 is in my maiden name which name do I put on the GA state tax return? 2. do I file single or joint? my husband never lived in GA in 2007 and our federal return is filled jointly.


For income tax filing it is best to always use the name that is currently on record with the Social Security Administration (regardless of what the W-2 or other document may have)

You may file in Georgia as a part year resident and either married filing joint or married filing separately. From page 9 of the Form IT-511 Individual Income Tax Instruction Booklet: A married part-year resident or nonresident with income earned in Georgia whose spouse is a nonresident with no Georgia source income may file either a separate return claiming himself/herself only, or a joint return claiming total allowable deductions. If one spouse is a resident and one is a part-year resident or nonresident, enter 3 in the residency status box and complete Form 500, Schedule 3 to calculate Georgia taxable income.

See Form 500 Individual Income Tax Return (Fill in on-line, print and mail)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes and congratulations on your marriage!

jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you