How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brad Your Own Question
Brad, Retired IRS Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 177
Experience:  Retired; 32 years service and expertise in Individual, Partnership, Trust, Corporate Tax Law;Mensa
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Brad is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Vermont 93 yo mother, thinking about nursing home

Customer Question

Vermont 93 yo mother, thinking about nursing home placement. Assets in a trust to avoid probate. Aside from a small amount of cash she owns a home, barn and 43 acres continguous old farmland. Valued at $500,000 to $600,000 +/-. How much does she had to spend down before she is eligible for Vermont medicaid in the nursing home? I know the look back for transfers is 5 years, but what about the house and land. I was told that was exempt.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brad replied 8 years ago.

Hello MsCustomer

Yes, home and furnishings do not count in the determination of eligibility.

I have cited some useful quotes from the Vermont website(shown below) including the phone number and address of your local S. Burlington office. They very much want to interview applicants before the applicant makes any drastic move such as selling or giving away property.


Income is the money you have coming in. It includes paychecks, pensions, veterans' and other benefits, return on investments, interest, certain contributions, and assistance from other sources.

Resources are what you have or own. The available resources of all family members count. These may include cash, back accounts, certificates of deposit, trust funds, negotiable stocks and bonds and some life insurance, real estate, and vehicles.

Your home and furnishings don't count.

You don't have to leave home to apply. Just call us at 1-800-250-8427 and ask for an application for Medicaid.

If you or any family members have health insurance, we'll need to know the details of the policy.


Note: Giving away resources or income or selling resources for less than they're worth could make you ineligible for help with nursing home care for months or years. Before transferring resources or income, be sure to check the rules with your worker.

Burlington District Office

Anne McBee, District Manager

101 Cherry Street, Suite 101
Burlington, VTNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Toll-free in Vermont:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Office Hours: 7:45 am to 4:30 pm,
Monday through Friday


Application for:

Food Stamps

Reach Up


Dr. Dynasaur






The best way to start seems to be the recommendation at the Vermont website, which is that you visit or apply and arrange for an interview with a case worker. Once you know what you are up against, then you can decide on alternate courses of action such as legal aid to set up trust that would hold your mother's assets(Miller trust


Please contact me again with any of your questions!