jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
3653323

Can we claim part of the foster care for the year of 2007, ...

Customer Question

Can we claim part of the foster care for the year of 2007, August to December on my income tax as a dependent?
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

Foster children have to qualify the same as other children. In general, to be a taxpayer's qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship - the taxpayer's child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence - has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age - must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support - did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

Since the foster child did not live with you for more than one half the year the child does not qualify to be your dependent.

Neither would this child be a qualifying relative since the person must:

• Live with you all year as a member of your household, or

• Be related to you

• I hope this helps even though it is not likely the answer you wanted to hear.

Best regards; and thank you for opening your home and family to care for the child.

jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
    Experience: I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    The foster children are my grandchilden, the mother die and the state says I had to be a foster parent to receive help for the service needed for them by the state.
    Thank you for the help.
    Expert:  jgordosea replied 6 years ago.

You are quite welcome.