Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.

I have a 21 year old daughter that has lived on her own for ...

I have a 21 year old daughter that has lived on her own for the past three years. My husband has claimed her on his income tax previously and just given her money equally, so as to help him on his taxes. He has gotten extensions for last year,unbeknownst to her. She is very responsible and would worry much if she knew. My question is this: Can he claim what he has paid for her college tuition, books, etc. on his form, leaving her to file her own tax form showing her bills, rent, etc.    She is a full time student in her fourth year and she has a full time job at a local Sonic. Please advise me. In the middle.   Thanks in advance for any help you might have. FYI, he is self-employed.

It is certainly possible that she could be claimed as a dependent and she could file her own return not claiming herself as a dependent - that would all depend on the details of the circumstances.

Whether he has gotten an extension or not does not affect her in any way whatsoever. She only needs to know whether she is being claimed as a dependent on his return or not.