How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had unallowed losses from 2003 which I forgot to apply to ...

Resolved Question:

I had unallowed losses from 2003 which I forgot to apply to a later year gain. Can I still use those losses and apply them to offset a gain for tax year 2007?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


Generally, the answer will be no.

Most losses must first be applied to the year following the loss, then the next year , etc.

It is not too late to amend the 2004 return that was due April 15, 2005 as you have three years from the due date to file Form 1040X (Rev. November 2007) You can still file this by 4/15/08 to change your 2004 return to include the carryforward loss.

In a few cases it is possible to compute the loss that would have been allowed in the prior years and then use the carryforward remaining (and only the remaining part) in a later year such as 2007; but since 2004 and all the intervening years are still open to amend you should try to get the benefit that may be available in those earlier years.

If a loss is not carried forward and then the year is closed that loss is not recoverable in the later year.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.


jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you