Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
8056330

If my spouse withdrew from his pension account and did ...

If my spouse withdrew from his pension account and did not properly file forms and was notified about this but I was unaware of both notification and withdrawal am I subject to the wage levy that is now being held against me. He also intecepted the wage levy notice from my employer and I was blindsided by a phone call from the business office when I did not respond to the letter which was not sent certified mail. I am now subject to $16,000 being taken from my earnings starting in my next pay period. He has not worked for the last 5 years and I cannot afford to live without a fulll paycheck. What am I suppose to do.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 8 years ago.
Customer

You should file for innocent spouse relief ASAP. You will need to fill out and submit IRS Form 8857. If you did not know, or have reason to know, of the unreported income, you would be a good candidate for this relief, which , if approved, would put the tax burden solely on your spouse.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8857.pdf

Regards,

Mark D