RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

When depreciating a seasonal rental property, does the ...

When depreciating a seasonal rental property, does the basis get reduced each year by the previous years depreciated amount? Example:100,000 1st year depreciation at 3636. 2nd year, do I deduct 3636 from the original basis of 100,000 and then multiply by that years % (27.5 yr. property 3.363% per yr.)

No, the depreciation is a straight line method and it is calculated on the original cost price. You do not reduce the depreciation from the cost basis to determine the depreciation for the following year.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.