RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..

My sister in law collected unemployment benefits from ...

My sister in law collected unemployment benefits from Kentucky. They did not take any taxes out. Will she have to pay federal and state taxes on that amount? During the time she was collecting unemployment she moved from Kentucky to Pennsylvania and continued to collect her benefits for 2 months. Will she be required to file in both states? She did not work while in PA.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

She will owe the tax to Federal and Kentucky State. She will have to file and report this income and depending on her total income she may owe taxes.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.