Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

Im a professional golfer that is not incorporated

Customer Question

I''m a professional golfer that is not incorporated with 2007 winnings (1099-misc) of roughly $18K, and deductions of $14K in tournament entry fees (filed as Miscellaneous expense) and $5K in mileage deductions (almost 10K miles). With a negative AGI on my 1040, the individual state income returns where I won money (NY, NC, SC, and MI) all are unnecessary from the instructions. Does this seem right to you that my negative AGI (due mostly to the big deductions) on the federal would allow me to avoid paying any state tax, or even filing state returns?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you are probably not "required" to file. However, as a matter of convenience, you may choose to file simply because the states do not know what your deductions are and, therefore, may be expecting a return from you. Filing the returns and showing the gross income and deductions should prevent them form contacting you and requesting a return.

jon

Experience: I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the answer to Jon Andrews. He didn't comment on the legimatcy of the deductions I mentioned, but did comment on the strategy for filing state returns.

The expenses you mentioned - entry fees, tavel (including mileage, hotels, etc), supplies, golf balls - are all legitimate expenses for a professional golfer. If this is how you make your living (or attempting to make your living), you should report both the income and expenses on Schedule C attached to your Form 1040. If this is a "hobby", you should report the income as miscellaneous income on your 1040 and report the expenses (but only to the extent of the income) on Schedule A.

jon

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much for the help, Jon. I will use this service again. Search google for "Matt Harmon Golf" to learn more about my son.