How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1273
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax allowances on W4. I am married with 2 children.

Resolved Question:

Tax allowances on W4. I am married with 2 children. I believe both my husband and myself claim 2 on each of our W4''s. Is that correct? We aren''t getting much of a refund this year and I''m wondering if we are doing it wrong? Can you advise what the proper way to fill out a W4 for us would be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 8 years ago.

You can pretty much claim what you want on your W4, it's just what you claim will affect what you owed, or are owed, at the end of the year. If you are getting a small refund, then your withholding is spot on. However, if you would prefer a refund, I might suggest you change your W-4's to the higher single rate, or in your case S-2.


Mark D

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mark D's Post: Thank you. Should my husband also be claiming 2 as well?
Expert:  Mark D replied 8 years ago.


If you would like a larger refund next year, then yes, he should switch too.


Mark D

Mark D and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions