Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues

Tax allowances on W4. I am married with 2 children.

Tax allowances on W4. I am married with 2 children. I believe both my husband and myself claim 2 on each of our W4''s. Is that correct? We aren''t getting much of a refund this year and I''m wondering if we are doing it wrong? Can you advise what the proper way to fill out a W4 for us would be?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 8 years ago.

You can pretty much claim what you want on your W4, it's just what you claim will affect what you owed, or are owed, at the end of the year. If you are getting a small refund, then your withholding is spot on. However, if you would prefer a refund, I might suggest you change your W-4's to the higher single rate, or in your case S-2.

Mark D

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mark D's Post: Thank you. Should my husband also be claiming 2 as well?
Expert:  Mark D replied 8 years ago.

If you would like a larger refund next year, then yes, he should switch too.

Mark D