Brad, Retired IRS Agent
Experience:  Retired; 32 years service and expertise in Individual, Partnership, Trust, Corporate Tax Law;Mensa

Can I write off the Gas Guzzler tax?

Customer Question

Can I write off the Gas Guzzler tax I paid when I purchased my new vehicle?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Brad replied 8 years ago.

For a personal vehicle rather than one used strictly for business, the Federal Excise Tax that has been labeled the "Gas Guzzler Tax" is not deductible on your Schedule A and, in general, Federal Excise Taxes are not deductible on Form 1040.

You can review deductible and non-deductible items on page 145 of IRS Publication 17 at the website:

If the vehicle was used in the normal course of your trade or business where it is also qualified for investment tax credit and depreciation expense, etc, the situation would, of course, be different as all expenses within the business offset gross income.