Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.

can i claim my 30 year old daughter on my taxes as a ...

Customer Question

can i claim my 30 year old daughter on my taxes as a dependent and get money back for her? she lives with me, and has not worked in 2 years.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 8 years ago.

Because of her age, you cannot claim her as a dependent child unless she is totally and permanently disabled.

However, even if not disabled, you may be able to claim her as a qualifying relative dependent. If you provide more than 1/2 of her support and she made less than $3400 for the year, you may have a claim.

Take a look at page 16 of these instructions for the complete details:

I hope this helps!

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.