Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

What is standard deduction for people over 65 and what ...

What is standard deduction for people over 65 and what is amount of Adj. gross income that is tax free.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Hello there,

For 2007, the standard deduction for a single person over 65 presuming he is not blind or a dependent is $6650. If he is married filing separately, $6400.

Add $3400 to the standard deduction to find the filing requirement (assuming no self-employment income), which is also the "tax free". However, certain additional deductions and credits may lead to a lower tax liability.

You can view filing requirements and standard deduction amounts in this publication:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: I am a married man filing a joint return. You only answered for a single person filing. Please expand your answer to include my filing status.What is our standard deduction and AJGI level that is not subject to taxes.

I apologize, your original post did not mention a couple married filing jointly.

If you are married filing jointly, and both spouses are over 65 and not blind, then the standard deduction is $12800. If only one spouse is 65 or over, then the standard deduction is $11750.

Filing requirement for both spouses 65 or over $19600, and only one spouse 65 or over is $18550.

Hi there,

Does my answer address your concerns, or do you need additional information?