How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recipient of gift from a non-US citizen living abroad

Resolved Question:

If a family member who lives abroad and is not a US citizen wants to give me a gift of approx $50,000, do I owe taxes on this gift? And how would I report this money on my tax return? If I do not owe taxes, do I still report it? (my husband and I are both US citizens residing in the US)
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.


There is no limit on the amounts that can be received by US residents from foreign individuals.

There is no tax on an gift received from a non-resident individual. If the gift is in excess of $100,000, the recipient is required to file an informational form to show where the funds came from. I have included a link to Form 3520 and instructions below.

MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions