RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

Why was federal income tax not withheld

Customer Question

My wife shows no federal income tax withheld on her W-2''s. She claims 1; has 6 W-2''s. 3 are non-profit orgs., with a salary range of $1300 - 2375. 3 for profit with a salary range of $540 - 3393.
We file in OR and the state tax withheld is really low: $19 on $3,400 in wages; 16 on 2,300; 13 on 2,375.
Would these low numbers affect our state taxes? We owe for the first time this year and it does not seem right. I gross 34,000 and paid 1800 in state taxes. She grossed 11,900/48. $0 in federal tax.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Since she has 6 W-2s everytime she changed the job, the taxed were calculated based on the income that she earned from that job disregarding the income from the prior job. Hence, she did not have any federal withhold and very low State tax withholding since her income from that particular job(withhout considering her other income) was too low.

Unfortunately, this being the reason you may owe tax.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience: CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the minimum income amount required for federal tax to be withheld? She has filed multiple w-2's in the past and has always had federal tax withheld no matter how little she made from that particular job.
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

It is normally dependent on the total income. So if you claim one allowance than the amount upto the personal exemption is not subject to tax. So if she makes upto $3300...no federal tax will be deducted.

Let me know if you have any question.