RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

My husband just passed away, when filing our taxes I want ...

Customer Question

My husband just passed away, when filing our taxes I want to file married filing seperate. He has a son that he claimed on his taxes in the past. Can I claim his son on my taxes or do I have to claim him on my husbands taxes.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

When did you husband pass away?

You may be able to file a married filing joint tax return?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RD's Post: He passed away this this year. January 15, 2008.
I want to file seperately because he owes back child support and I know his tax refund will go to paying that back childsupport. I would rather claim his son on my taxes to get more money for myself and not have it go to the back childsupport.
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

You can file a married filing separate tax return and claim the child if he lived with you for more than 6months and he did not provide for more than half of his own support.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.