RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

I am divorced, my ex husband claims our 2 children as ...

Customer Question

I am divorced, my ex husband claims our 2 children as dependants and I sign a form for him every year to do so. He has a high income and is not able to take the child tax credit. Can I still claim the 2 children as qualifiying children? My worksheets state I can yeild the $2000. I have preiously filed form 8901 and claimed this credit but now am being advised i cannot. Can you please confirm?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

If you cannot claim your child as a dependent for either of the following two reasons, you might be able to claim the child tax credit:

If either of these two circumstances apply to you, then you'll need to fill out Form 8901 to claim the child tax credit on your non-dependent child.

Since these situation does not apply to you, you willl not be able to claim child tax credit for your child.

See link for more details-

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p972/ar02.html

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.
Thanks