Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Hello, I have an Irish business and we have had a lot of ...

Customer Question

Hello, I have an Irish business and we have had a lot of interest from American customers and I am just trying to find out what I need to do to comply with US tax regulations in order to have a series of sales seminars in the US.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

As you may have discerned from the IRS website; whether there are requirements for withholding and reporting will depend on the amount and type of income as well as the form of organization of the entity (or if it is an individual that is earning income) when a foreign person has income from United States sources.

More information is needed in order to give an answer that simply does not repeat all of the rules for all of the possible scenarios.

For example, if an individual earning wages from the foreign entity is simply making presentations without any deposits or money received there may not be any requirement for that foreign person in regard to income taxes. There may be visa or other considerations that are not tax related.

Perhaps if you can provide more information of the expected activity we can give some guidance (or at least references) for you to consider.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am planning a series of seminars across different states informing women of what size bra they should be wearing and offering them an opportunity to purchase items on the day as well as place future orders which will be filled and sent from Ireland.

The stock for the seminars will be sent directly to the US from Europe.

We are charging a ticket price of €100.00 which will be redeemable against any purchase they make on the day or on future purchases.

I am an American citizen living in Ireland and my business is in Ireland. I know I can set up an American business, but am not sure if this is the best way to go. I will be bringing my trained staff (all of whom are Irish citizens) and will probably employ 2 temps in each city through an agency to help with the order filling and cash handling.

Please let me know if you need any further information.