Wayne Brasch
Wayne Brasch, Accountant and Business Consultant
Experience:  Master of Science in Taxation. Tax experience since 1963.
749270

Upon my death, I would like to leave a piece of land (worth

Upon my death, I would like to leave a piece of land (worth about $500,000) to a friend -- not a relative. (1) What kind of tax would this individual have to pay upon receipt of this land? (2) Would any kind of tax or charge need to be paid at that time? (3) Would it be better to give him small parcels of this land over a number of years while I am still alive? In this case, What kind of tax would this individual have to pay? I am retired.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wayne Brasch replied 9 years ago.
If you set up a will stating that this person is to receive this land upon your death, you nor that person would owe no taxes at all on the passing of title from you to him. Property that passes to someone else under a will is not taxable income to the recipient.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Isn't there some sort of limit ($1,000,000) upon the sum of all donations to relatives and friends even upon death?
Not in the case of a will.