How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28988
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I inherit money from the UK, aside from paying UK

Resolved Question:

If I inherit money from the UK, aside from paying UK inheritance tax do I also have to pay US inheritance tax? If yes do I pay on whats left after UK tax or on what was originally inherited?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

For a recipient of the inheritance - does not need to claim it as income. Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 30 -

In case you transfer the money to US - if the amount is more than $100,000, you are required to file form 3120 - (see instructions for details - to declare transfer from the foreign country. There is no tax associated with this form.

Please let me know if any clarification needed.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you