Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Where do I list the interest paid out on mortgage ...

Customer Question

Where do I list the interest paid out on mortgage expenses. The information I was provided says for me to see the instructions for "Box 4" and I can''t find any such instuctions. Since I have an interest expense of $3470.24 I would very much like to claim it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If that is a mortgage interest for your primary or secondary home - you should report it on the schedule A line 10 or 11 (depending if you were provided with reporting form 1088 or not) -

Please let me know if that is a mortgage interest on investment, business or rental property - in that case there will be different reporting.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YOUR reply is not much help since line 10 is for capital gains and 11 is about IRA distributions and I asked about interest expense like mortgage interest which I am paying out, not taking in. So unless you have better help find me another helper OK?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

you should not look at form 1040A.

You need to look at the schedule A that I provided for you above - here is the link again -

Moreover you will not be able to use form 1040A if you want to deduct the mortgage interest - you should use form 1040 instead.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the help!!!!
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
I wish you the best!