Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My son is a 20 year old full time college student. He

My son is a 20 year old full time college student. He earned less than $4,000.00 in 2007. This money was through a grant but he got an earnings slip that says report as other income. My husband and I claim my son as a dependent. Do we have to report his earnings and does he have to file taxes himself?

Please refer to the IRS publication 501 for reference -

You may claim your son - assuming he is a full time student and doesn't provide more than 50% support for himself. You do not need to report your son's income on your return.

As long as your son - as a dependent - earned less than $5350 (in 2007) - he does not require to file tax return. However if any taxes were withheld from his paycheck - he would need to file to get his refund.

Please let me know if any clarification needed.