Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I have a done some speaking as a Christian minister.

I have a done some speaking as a Christian minister. I have recieved 1500.00 or less for this. I have spoke to a small group of women usually. I am not affiliated with a church. One of the attenders wants to deduct her donation. I do not have a tax-exemption. What should I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
Pleas e specify - what donation do you mean? If that a compensation paid to you for the service you provided?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes and the money is used to pay for renting a conference room at a hotel and gas to get there and back and for a hotel room for over nite. I do not recieve a salary. We end up putting more money into these meetings. I have all the reciepts. We have been going every 3 or four months. We have been informally invited to speak. Not hosted by a formal organization. Is that clear? We have never declared to be tax-exempt.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Generally - you do not have tax-exempt status - all proceeds should be reported as your income. You may deduct all your expenses - so eventually you likely will not have any taxable income - but you still need to report both - income and expenses.

Unfortunately - as you do not have a status of charitable organization - any contribution (or payment for service) may not be deductible. You may provide a receipt, but you may not state on the receipt that this payment is deductible.

You may want to review IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions - for details or additional information.

Please let me know if any clarification needed.