Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

I live in PA. I received a signing bonus from a MN ...

Customer Question

I live in PA. I received a signing bonus from a MN company. I did not work in MN in 2007. The company withheld MN state tax. No PA state tax was paid on the income. Do I have to file a return in MN for refund and pay PA state tax plus penalties? I am receiving another signing bonus in 2008. How do I prevent this from happening again?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear hill,

You have to file a non-resident return for MN, and take what refund you get. The money was not earned in MN, so when you fill out the non-resident return, you will show all income earned in PA, and zero in MN, and you should get the entire amount refunded.

You would file a resident return in PA; who will give you credit for any taxes paid to MN.